Monday, November 26, 2012

Rule #29: Experiment with gardening...even if it may seem like a long shot!

So excited right now!!!!!!  So as many of you who read my blog know I was successful with forcing the Treviso radicchio last year and recently found out that I have to do the same to the Puntarelle type chicory in order for it to form the pods.  I really didn't think it was going to work, but a few days ago my first pod started forming.  I don't know if it will get as big and full of pods as the ones I have seen from Italy but I will keep the blog updated.

This is what my set up in the garage.  It's nice and cold now for them.  To the right is the Treviso and to the left is the Puntarelle

First pod forming...almost 2 weeks in.

3 comments:

  1. Though I'm not a radicchio fan, you have to love a plant that can produce something fresh for the winter. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava, che bellisima! This certainly has me convinced! Do you have links to share describing forcing puntarelle? Are you forcing them in water, keeping them in the dark? Promise you'll also share how you're going to prepare them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha...thanks!!!!!!!!! We shall see how it continues. It is getting bigger already and another pod is forming. This is the website that I read a few months back that let me know that I would have to force to get the pods, but I just did it like the Treviso... http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/community-building-and-resources/urban-farm-bloggers/urban-farmer-rick-gush/puntarelle.aspx. I do a bucket of water only up to the top of the root in the dark garage. I don't cut all leaves off but take most of the big outer leaves off to begin and the take them off as they die off.

    ReplyDelete