Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Rule #18: Better Late than Never! (Harvest "Monday")

So this week we are still getting decent strawberries.  Less than before but the overbearing are putting on new flowers.  The new harvest this week was the Tatsoi and Peas. I have decided that shelling peas are good but not enough of a harvest for the space they take up.  I would now prefer snow or snap peas, but I am going to use up all the seeds I have first.  Larkyn and now Mckinley both love peas so that is why I originally started growing them.  I decided to pick them young so that we could eat them like a snow pea. This worked out for most of them, but a couple of them were a touch to big and tough.  I will let the rest mature to peas and we will make a nice risotto out of it.  The first Tatsoi was good. I have had to be diligent about getting eggs and caterpillars off of them though!  We had some steamed on a salad with other steamed veggies and them I made a stir fry with them also.  Both ways were tasty.  I look forward to  a good fall crop and perhaps trying different asian greens in the future.  I have a few more in the garden still to harvest in the coming week or two.
Tatsoi

Tatsoi

Peas!

3 comments:

  1. I love peas of all sorts but you are right, shelling peas take a lot of space and shelling is a lot of work. I am still trying out varieties tho, to see if there is a really good one for my garden. and thinking of investing in one of those pea & bean shellers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh homegrown peas are great but iv'e never had any luck growing them, i have grown sugar snap peas with more success.
    Yours look great and enough for a meal ! I planted some Tatsoi (for the first time) seedlings yesterday, love their little round leaves.
    Do you think its as tasty as Pak Choi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice greens. :) I had not heard of Tatsoi, I am going to have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete